After deciding on my binding method I thought that I would be able to include more information in my publication, although I have found out that just because I have more space available, I can still only include 16 pages worth of content in my publication. Therefore I could have a reverse side to my spreads but keep the backs just illustrations, with no written information on it. This means that I will be able to include a reverse side to show illustrations, or maybe even have the animal prints on the back of each spread.
- Sea Turtles
After the crit I received feedback about the layouts suggesting that it is a good idea to have mirrored layouts on my spreads. They also agreed with me that the front cover looks too similar to 'EA sports' and I should just keep the design simple and clear, so that it is serious like the publication should.
The Final Spreads.
Reverse of the Spreads.
I am really happy with this publication, I think that the writing all of the content informed me more on the subject matter which meant that I could design it more thoroughly and accurately. I think that if I were to do this brief again I would think about flocking the front cover. As I made the publication first and decided on the font cover later I ran out of time and couldn't test out whether I should use flocking or not. I think that the information graphics makes the publication more interesting, it draws the eye straight to the main fact about the threats that each of the animals suffer. They also work really well together as a set and make the design stronger.
During this module I have focused on the design mainly rather than blogging a lot, I think that this has helped my design a lot, this is something that I have learned during the module. Evaluating my work is important as it gives me time to reflect on what I have done and produced, although I haven't got carried away and gone into too much detail so that my design process was hindered.
During my crits my peers suggested that my binding methods would also work for the packaging of my publication as they do work as a packaging for the publication, although I thought that maybe it wouldn't count as a packaging. Therefore I decided to create a simple sleeve, including no information, keeping it clear and serious like the publication. Although looking back at it I think that I maybe should have created something a bit more appealing for the packaging, maybe laser cutting it so that it is more appealing. I think that the publication I have created for the endangered animals is really appropriate for my subject and for my target audience, as it is interactive so animal lovers can get involved with the publication.