Friday 14 March 2014

Binding Methods

Binding.
For my 16 page publication my topic is endangered animals. I want my binding to reflect the topic, I want it to be interesting whilst being appropriate for the topic and the target audience. I started to look through different packaging and binding books to find interesting binding methods. Also this brief has to include a packaging for the publication, so I could also find this through the books.

I found this binding method called crown binding which is simple folding to make the spine for a publication. If I use this it will mean I would need to bind with thread or glue, this will make my design more sustainable and be more appropriate for endangered animals, as I wont be using excess glue or stitching.

I tried out this binding method but thought that if I scaled it down I wouldn't waste a lot of paper testing it out, although I found that it turned into a completely different type of publication, although I like it and think that its interesting, I don't think that I will be using it for my research publication, although I could use it for the next part of this module.


I decided that I could try the same folding process but with less pages, this would create eight different slots, which means that there could be eight pages with two sides where I could include the content of my publication.

I think that it would be better if I have full spreads so that I can include more information. Endangered animals are such a wide topic and there is a lot of information about each of the animals, facts about endangered animals in general. I want to inclaude a lot of information in my publication as I have researched a lot about my subject, therefore I will need to have a larger publication.

The spine of the publication is interesting like the publication itself. It also means that the spreads can be taken in and out of the binding. This can make the publication more interactive with the audience and means that I can include more information in my publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment