Sunday 9 March 2014

Cath Kidston - Initial Ideas

The Brief.

From reading through the brief I have found that their target audience is just about any female aged 29. I don't think they actually know anything about their target audience or who they are because they state one contradiction after another.

Creative Challenge.
Design one new conversational print taking into account our brand values and print style. Examples of conversational prints within our range would include Cowboy, Garden Birds, Guards of London – these are prints with a recognisable picture within them. Classic Cath Kidston floral, spots or stripes would not be described as a conversational print.
The print should be designed to be used across three of our product categories; Women’s Fashion, Women’s Accessories and Home. We are looking for an original theme and a fresh new take on our unique visual style. Your print can take any visual direction you wish, as long as you believe it to be in tune with our brand.

Ideas.
When looking at the Cath Kidston brief I started to think about the different things that I could do. I think that it would be best to keep the design very 'British' and 'English' quite traditional. I have seen a few different designs from peers on my course, and I want to avoid doing something like their subject for the print, therefore the beach is out of bounds.

British Personalities.
  • Talking about the weather
  • Queueing
  • Sarcasm
  • Watching television
  • Drinking
  • A love of curtain twitching and being nosey
  • Moaning
  • Gossiping with neighbours over the garden fence
  • Obsession with the traffic
  • A cup of tea to ease worries
  • Political correctness
  • Road rage
  • Wanting a good tan
  • Being proud of where we live
  • Washing the car on a Sunday
  • Being overly polite
  • Obsession with the Royals
  • Mowing the lawn
  • Countryside



British Attractions.
  • British Museum
  • Tate Modern
  • National Gallery
  • Natural History Museum
  • London Eye
  • Victoria and Albert Museum
  • Science Museum
  • Tower of London
  • Madame Tussauds
  • Royal Museums Greenwich
  • Big Ben
  • Buckingham Palace

British Iconic Things.
  • Bacon Butty
  • Roast dinners
  • Cup of tea
  • Fish & Chips
  • Bulldogs
  • Yorkshire Pudding
  • English fry up
  • Lake District
  • The Queen
  • Aston Martin
  • Pubs
  • Wimbledon
  • The Pound
  • Black cabs
  • The Beatles
  • Shakespeare
  • James Bond
  • Red phone boxes
  • Crumpets
  • Red buses
  • Harry Potter
  • The Royal Family
  • The Queen’s English
  • British Beaches
I decided to do some primary research by asked 10 women in the age range 25-35, which print theme would they buy in Cath Kidston for their house, and these are my results.

Wimbledon - 0
Royal Family - 0
British Food -1
British Bulldog -7
British Attractions - 1
Countryside/Weather - 1

I was only able to find 10 women in the age of 25-35, otherwise I would have asked more people so that I could get a more accurate result. Although the results I received show that I should definitely go for the British Bulldog. The British Bulldog will be a good theme for Cath Kidston, its something that they haven't done before. An animal print will always be welcome at Cath Kidston as they are an animal friendly company, as well as that the British Bulldog is related to the English Heritage like the brief required.

Colour Regulations.

Please submit the print in both repeat tile and stepped out versions, and create three different colourways. You should use a maximum of 12 colours.
These are the colour regulations that I have been given for the brief, therefore I can't go over the 12 colours in my design. Although I like using minimal colours so I don't think I would have gone over 12 colours anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment