Wednesday 15 January 2014

End of Module Self Evaluation


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed my web design skills a lot, I have never done it before and I have found that I really like creating websites, and find it very therapeutic. It is something that I think I want to learn more about as we only learnt the basics for this module and I would like to know more.

Doing this module allows you to experiment and think further than what you usually do, for example, the different methods of printing and the different effects they make, also I would never have thought about web designing and coding until I had to create my own website, and found I really enjoyed it.



2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I think that I have also developed my printing skills further, as prior to this module I had never done flocking or foiling, and it had made a huge benefit to my print book, and is something I will consider more in the future when I am designing.

Doing Design for Print allowed me to look further into the different methods of printing, and make me see that there is more than just digital printing and screen printing. Also looking into the commercial side of printing is also something I have never done before, and finding out how much things cost to produce commercially interested and will help me and guide me in the way I design.




3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The strengths that I had had through this module is the patience I have had when coding my website, if I were to code it again knowing what I know now, I would be able to get it done in a few hours. If I had more time I would have liked to develop my website more and change a few things about the way it looks, but as I had more briefs to do I wasn’t able to do this. Although after producing my website it gave me a better view on how to design my website. Therefore when it came to doing my Design for Print and Web, I found it a lot easier to actually design my website.








4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

The weaknesses in my work is organisation. Although last year I was leaving things until last minute, this year I have found that I am getting all of my brief done, and leaving blogging until last minute. I have now learned that I should be kind to my future self and blog as I go, as although I don’t like blogging, its something I need to do, and putting it off means that I just forget some of the decisions I made, which make blogging harder to do.

Because of my bad organisation and the fact that I did a lot of my brief for Design for Print and Web over Christmas which meant that I printed a lot of my stuff off at home and just used digital printing methods. If I were to do it again I would plan my time better so that I could use screen printing for this brief so that I could print cream onto blue, for my business cards.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

For my next module, and the current modules that I am doing, I am going to blog as I go so that I don’t get so stressed close to hand in and rush my blogging.

As well as blogging as I go, I want to create smaller blog posts that are more specific, rather than really large posts, as my blogger crashes quite often and loses my work, therefore if I had smaller posts, not as much work would get lost when it happens.

When designing my website, I designed it so that it would be easy to code, if I were to do this again I would have designed my website better in the first place, as its not as aesthetically pleasing as I would like.

I am also going to organise my time better so that I can get the most out of each brief, as I would have liked to use more methods of printing for my final 100 brief but I ran out of time. Although looking back at this brief I think that having flocking or foiling may have been inappropriate for the collection I made, but could have been relevant for the making of a different collection in the same shop.

Another thing that I have learnt from doing this module is that I actually enjoyed coding and if I were to do the Design for Web and Print again I would have probably done a website for my brief, but because I started looking into what I wanted to do for this brief before I finished my web, so I chose to do print. Although I am really happy with the print side of this brief, I think that if I had more time I could have attempted to code my site.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality




x
Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment