Wednesday 30 January 2013

Module Evaluation

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have never worked with information graphics before, and although I found this more difficult than expected, I am pleased I perused it and I am very pleased with my chocolate key, in particularly after adjusting following the crit.
I have also never really worked with Photoshop before and now have a much better understanding. I am able to use the basic tools such as the quick selection tool and I know how to re-size images. I am pleased with my final postcards and feel I successfully applied my newly learnt skills.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Through the sessions with Fred I learnt about the different methods of design and how to build a successful body of research. I learnt about the importance of secondary and primary research. This informed the development of my designs as I could look back on the research I built at the beginning of each brief.

I have learnt to manage my time better as within this module we have been working on other large briefs, such as the essay and tasks given in design principles. I have had to prioritise and make many lists to remind myself what I have to do and when. This helped my design work as I had a good amount of time for each task.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I am pleased with how I have applied colour within this module. I also used Pantone swatches within the last brief, learning how to work more professionally. Also, working with bright colours to attract children within the How To group brief. I have a better understanding of how to apply and work with colour professionally and will continue to use this skill.

I have worked more with illustration within this module, such as the postcards, How To brief and within the last module creating illustrations to represent each chocolate. I feel my illustrations are strong, and as I have previously worked more with type I will try and now try and incorporate illustrations into my work more.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I believe I could improve my Photoshop skills. Although I have learnt the basics I am not very confident with it and would benefit from practising. I will try and do this over assessment week.

I struggle evaluating my own work and rely heavily on crits for feedback, although this is the purpose of crits I feel I should be able to see for myself the positives and negatives within my work. To improve this I will set time at the end of each day to evaluate my progress and the quality of what I have produced.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

As I previously stated I do not feel confident with Photoshop and will practise this to gain a better understanding. I also want to experiment with InDesign following the induction.

When I printed my work the first time there was a mistake, however I didn’t realise until after cutting. I should definitely check before I leave the print room.

There was also a spelling mistake within my first print out. I will be sure to get someone to proof read any text before printing.

Although I managed my time well when designing, I don’t feel I blogged as successfully as I could have. I will try and blog each day in the next module to prevent having to blog large amounts at once when it is not fresh in my mind.

As previously mentioned I am not very good at evaluating my own work. I will try and evaluate at the end of each day in the next module.


No comments:

Post a Comment