First getting the brief for typogateaux, lots of different ideas came to mind about what I should do, then I decided to team up with Melissa. We both looked individually at different ideas then brought our ideas together to see what we could make.
My first ideas were to create a teared cake, looking into type exploding from it, like a volcano, maybe using popping candy to increase the effect when its being eaten. But then I wanted it to not only include typography but have a graphic design context to it. So I then looked at favourite fonts and typefaces, having most popular on to, down to average, then the bad. But then I thought that it would a judgement call, as some people like using rubbish fonts.
Then started to look at cake pops, as I found that it hadn't been done before in the brief typogateaux. This would make our entry unique, therefore me and Melissa decided that producing cake pops would work well for us, also to make it typogateaux we wanted to make the cake pops letters. I then looked at different ways which we could decorate them, for example; stripey, spotty, christmasy or plain.
Thinking about different way to display the cake pops was the main concern as when they have been produced they can't simple remain uncovered and just on a surface. Therefore I thought about polystyrene blocks to stand them in, also looked at placing then in a cake. As long as the cake and the cake pops kept to the same theme this would work well.
As it is close to christmas, I thought that it could be a good idea to do a christmas themed cake, although after speaking to Melissa about the decorations and theme we should use, we decided to go with a girly pink and white theme, and thought to use spots.
The final idea;
Also after researching how to make cake pops we found that we could use little cases for them, then they can be transported into college, also we could just place them around the cake as the are quite heavy, and the cake/polystyrene may not hold them all.
Making the cake/cake pops;
|Making the mixture|
|Choice of tine sizes|
|Ready to bake, two tears and extra for cake pops.|
|Cake for the cake pops.|
|Crumbling the cake.|
|Ready to add the frosting to the crumbled cake.|
|Cake half crumbled for the cake pops.|
|Melissa cutting out the H.|
|Almost a full alphabet.|
|Ready to freeze.|
|Top layer of cake before iced.|
|Iced and placed on top.|
|Making the spots.|
|Icing the letters.|
|Sticking the spots on the cake.|
|Type pop packaged.|
|Finished type pop.|
Me and Melissa worked really well as a team, we both did individual research then brought it together to get a broad range of information for our project. It worked really well even though we thought half way through that it might fail because of the structure of the letters.
If we were to do this again, we would probably have made the letter a little bit thicker so that they have more depth to put the stick in, this would make the letters more sturdy. This would have made the process easier as on some of the letters, they fell apart and had to make them again, which made the process longer, therefore this would cut out a large chunk of time. We would also have thought about how to cut out the circles from the icing, maybe getting circle cutters, this would have made our lines sharper.
If we had more time we could have made the cake bigger, we could have had more tears to it, and spell out the 'Type pop' in the type pop. We could have also made more glyphs, as in the end we only had two as two of them broke when we were trying to coat them, as we used them as tester just in case they went wrong as they weren't as important as the rest.
Overall I think that it went well, and as we won we shouldn't really change anything, although I would have tried to change these things anyway to make the cake even better. We wouldn't change the baking aspect as the cake pops taste suprisingly nice. We worked well as a team and I would work with Melissa again.