The initial ideas we had for this brief were to work as a large group, this way we had more people, therefore would get more work done through the week. When planning how to do, How To...Make People Read More, as we all had different categories, we thought we would all assign different jobs. We started to brainstorm ideas which we could use for this brief;
When organising what people in the group should do for this brief, we decided to go with each of our strengths, therefore people who were better on illustrator could create the characters and people who are better on photoshop could do the photoshopping the images onto walls e.t.c. I was given the task to make the bookmarks. Everyone had something different to do, as Jasper was doing the spacial design, looking at where the quotes will go what what they will look like, Ana looked into the quotes and what they will say, Mel made the sticker charts and the stickers, and Danielle was creating the characters on illustrator, these are the characters she sent me;
Knowing that I had to create the bookmarks I started to research it thoroughly to find out which books to use, and what makes a good children's bookmark, why they are attracted to them and how I should apply that to my bookmarks. I also thought about have reading lists and reading levels on the bookmarks, so that when a child has finished one of the book on that list, they can check it off, this will engage the children more, it will give them something to do and look forward to when reading.
When Danielle sent me the illustrations I used the heads from them to create the bookmarks, when doing this I had to remake the illustrations because our software wasn't compatible, so it was difficult to make it the same. I created a structure so that the heads are all the same size and the 'bodies' are all the same size too.
After creating the bookmarks I printed them off to see how the print quality was, and as I screen shot some of Danielle's illustrations then put bodies on them, it was clear that the bookmarks were pixelated and needed to be re-drawn, so that they are a better quality. Here are some images and evidence of how bad they came out as a print;
Depending on which animal the text is on, the colour of the text could change colour so that it is easier to see. Although when experimenting with different colours of text I found that white works best for all of them. I then printed them out to show the group and see what they thought about the bookmarks. When we were thinking about the application of the bookmarks, we thought that we would need a book stand. Danielle was making the holder for the bookmark, and we realised the holder would have to be massive because of the size of the bookmarks, therefore we decided as a group that the bookmarks could be smaller.
These are all of the backs of the bookmarks. Creating the backs of the bookmarks was more challenging than the front, as they are being double sided printed, therefore having the text in the right place is crucial. I also wanted to have consistency with the bookmarks, so having white text for all of them would keep that consistency.
Both of the bookmarks look similar, by changing the colour of something like the text or changing the layout of the text will separate the two different leveled bookmarks. Although when experimenting with this I found that it was effective on some but not others, as I tried black text, but then there would have to be a white box around the text on the penguin as the penguin is black. Therefore as it looks better as white text, I will keep it like this for all of them, and when handing the next levels out at the library, people will just have to read the levels to check they are doing the right thing.
When changing the lengths and the shapes of the, I went from the top image to the bottom. When doing this I found it hard to change the shape of some of the different animals for example the giraffe. Therefore I decided to just put a white box over the bottom of it, as you can slightly see on this image. This did not work well, its doesn't look very professional, and it needs to be changed.
These are three of the bookmarks which have been redrawn on illustrator, they are a lot better quality on screen therefore will definitely be better when printed.
The finished bookmarks, front and back;
Although it was Anna's job to come up with the quotes and put them into posters and do the designs for the wall murals, as we all had the same same quotes and the same illustrations of the characters. I decided to do some different layouts for them, also different situations that the characters were in.
Experimenting with posters;
This was used in the brief as one of the poster, it is trying to symbolise an adult of teacher telling children about reading and how good it is for them.