First thinking about designing a mailshot, envelope and mailing list, I decided I wanted to keep the same colour scheme as my posters, and include more information.
|Constantina, romantic theme.|
|Plain and simple, portrait envelope, posters inside.|
|Show theme, open up to see what happens behind the curtains.|
|More detailed development on my idea.|
|Red, black and white cut out letters.|
|Designing the curtains on illustrator.|
|Duplicating them and flipping to make them full.|
|Having real couples in love on one side and fake showmances on the other.|
|Showing different reasons why couples would lie about being in a relationship, with the definition of romance in the middle.|
|Same as the above but taking away the definition, keeping it simple and matching the posters.|
|Adding red to the information section.|
As my envelope is quite plain as I couldn't do it very colourful as it would make my wax stamp less effective. Therefore I decided to add some colour to the inside by turning my information pages red.
|Front and back of my mailshot.|
|Creating a bleed, as double sided printing is not always accurate.|
|Printed on cartridge paper.|
|Close up of cartridge paper print.|
|Initial ideas for stamps.|
|Designs on illustrator.|
|Carving from card.|
|Carving from potatos.|
|Experimenting for different stamps and waxes.|
|Mail shot in the envelope.|
|Arrangement for crit.|
As I was not happy with the quality of my stock, nor was I happy with the overall design as a set. My crit only showed exactly what I was unhappy with in my design, and therefore prompted me to want to change it. I wanted to change the typeface used throughout, especially the body copy. The layout of the mail shot, and add some decorative element to my envelope, because as a set they are look very plain and bland, this was not my intention. Changing both my posters and my mail shots so that they are also as a set and work using the same colours, stock and general theme.
New mail shot;
|Double sided printing, not aligned.|
|Double sided print, rubbing of the ink, as was not dry.|
|Printing on stock rubs the ink off.|
|See through, double sided, very off.|
|Stripey ink on stock, from peeling ink off others.|
|Finished mail shot.|
|Old envelope and new envelope.|
|New mailing list.|
|New mailing list and old mailing list.|
This brief I changed many times, looking back on the original message and delivery brief, I should have chosen an article which has more depth. An article which has statistics and facts to use, rather than an opinion. Saying that I enjoyed the light heartedness of these briefs.
Changing my original designs has helped to communicate my message of awareness, although there is lots of things which I would change about this if I had more time. I would like the colour to be identicle to the colour I have used throughout as I believe it is strong and attracts attention, although I know that it is set as the same colour, it is purely the print quality. To improve these mail shots and envelopes I need to work on my crafting skills, as when sticking the individual mail shots together, I found that crafting is something I lack skills in.
Re-doing this brief over I would have considered stock a lot more, and how colours print differently to what they look like on screen. I also would have done more development work so that I can find my best design before I start printing. But overall I am a lot happier with my new mail shots and mailing lists, they work better and are a lot more effective.