When recreating the letter forms I used; block, gothic, script and roman fonts, made them all fit into a 10cm by 10cm box then cut them up so that I had all the different parts to make the letter such as the stems and bowls e.t.c. We were then told to make as many different variations of the letter aA bB as we could, therefore after experimenting with about 280 different variations I chose my favourite 10 letter forms in each a, A, b, and B.
Lower case a's;
Lower case b's;
Upper case A's;
Upper case B's;
Experimenting on illustrator;
I first drew out each individual stem and bowl for all the letters I am using. I have stuck to my original fonts which were, Futura, Lucida Calligraphy Italic, Bookman Old Style, and Hobo Std. By illustrating this and doing it digitally I thought that it would be the easiest way of making producing many different examples and experiments with the letters, I thought it would also allow me to change the sizing of each letter to give them all a baseline, x-height and cap height, also to keep the lines clear and clean.
Developing first typeface, GOTHIPT;
When developing my typefaces I decided to adapt the letters and parts form the letters just slightly, this is so that the parts go together better and look more professional. Although I wont be changing the dimensions of each part of the letter a lot, as I want it to still look like it has been chopped off another letter, and show the key characteristics of the original font.
Second typeface, GOMAN;
Third typeface, BLOTHIC;
Forth typeface, SPOCK;
I thought about combining two typefaces which have nothing in common, I wanted to look at how I can make something that shouldn't work well, into something that looks like a typeface.
Fifth typeface, SOTHMAN;
For my final typeface I decided to combine three different typefaces, this is so that I can see whether it could work, and whether it could look like a set rather than just random shapes stuck together.
Final hand rendered typefaces;